Christmas comes to 2nd Saturdays and Downtown this weekend | Events
There will be Santa Claus, a Holiday Decorated Window Contest and more. 2nd Saturdays for December 8 is full of festivities and tons of fun for everyone.
Starting at the Fire Truck Adventure Zone kids’ area join the 7 Pipers and the Tucson Circus Arts Stilt Walkers as they escort Santa north on Scott Ave. to the MEB Property Management building at 120 E. Congress St. Once at that space Santa will be enthroned from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Bring the kids and your cameras so that you get the best picture of your little ones telling Santa what’s in their hearts for the Holidays.
The Fire Truck Adventure Zone kids’ area has added 3 fire themed inflatables. There will also be a fully functioning fire truck with active duty fire fighters in uniforms for the kids’ excitement. Kids can explore the fire truck and get their pictures taken to mark the experience. Also in the kids’ area, the movie “It’s A Wonderful Life” will be shown starting at 6p.m. The inflatables, the fire truck with photographs for children and the movie are free.
The third annual Holiday Window Decorating Contest will be judged about 6 p.m. There will be over 50 stores decorating their windows to add to the holiday spirit downtown and hoping to win prizes. There will be winners of a Grand Prize, Second Place, Best Use of humor and Most Creative. The winners will be announced at the Scott Ave. Stage.
This month’s footprint will remain the same as it has in recent months. Congress has one lane open to automobiles from 6th to Scott with sidewalk pedestrian and bicycle access, easy to get to your favorite retail shop, favorite restaurant or hangout for cocktails. For the event, Scott Avenue will be closed from Congress to Jackson Street, just south of Broadway. The KIIM/KHIT Scott Avenue stage will be on the north end of Scott at Congress Street. Scott Avenue and Jackson Street will be lined with vendors, food trucks, street performers and street soccer.
KIIM/KHIT Scott Avenue Stage @ Broadway Blvd. - FREE
- 6 p.m. - 6:45 p.m.: Arizona Opera’s “Gift of Music” – Join Arizona Opera as they spread holiday cheer and thank the community for its support of their programming. The Tucson OperaTunity Troupe will perform selections of holiday music, both new and old, to lighten the spirits of all who listen.
- 7 p.m. - 8:15p.m.: Hey, Bucko! honors the sounds that capture our phenomenal landscape and local histories. The tunes have been described by fans as "Spaghetti Western meets World Music."
- 8:30 p.m. - 9:45 p.m.: Stuart Oliver & The Desert Angels - Local folk musician and producer Stuart Oliver, founder of Old Bisbee Records, fronts his new Cosmic Americana band, The Desert Angels.
La Placita corner of Broadway/Stone - FREE
- 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.: Southwest Soul Circuit (Purveyors of great, local soul music, jazz and R & B) present their Holiday Show
Fox Theatre 17 W. Congress St. FREE
- 7 p.m.: Romeros with Concerto Malaga
Club Congress: 311 E. Congress St.;
- 7 p.m.: Neil Hamburger, Tim Heidecker $12
Tucson Soccer: Jackson St. At Stone Ave. FREE
- 4 p.m. – 10 p.m.: The FC Tucson Street Soccer Showdown located on Jackson St., is soccer in its purest form: absent of age restrictions, uniform restrictions or even skill restrictions. It’s just 10 players in a 5v5 matchup playing soccer because they love it; on the street, spontaneously. The result takes a backseat to the process and the buildup and the fun everyone has just kicking the ball around cleverly, trying to avoid each other. Don’t let another 2nd Saturday go by without hitting the street with just the clothes you’re wearing, your friends and a desire to play soccer. It's free to play and open from 4-10 pm. For more information email email@example.com
Joel D. Valdez Library: corner of Stone and Pennington—A snowy miniature village complete with moving train. This event is free. 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
During construction, all the parking garages will be open and accessible from detours. Automobile traffic coming from the east will be detoured to Toole Avenue westbound, with 6th Avenue now two-way and providing access to the Pennington Street Garage. From the south, enter Downtown by going northbound on either 6th Avenue or Stone Avenue. Traffic coming from the north can also enter Downtown on Stone Avenue and on 6th Avenue southbound from 6th Street.
The easiest parking remains at: (1) Centro Garage, located just as you enter Downtown from the east; (2) The Depot Plaza Garage, located underground, with entrance and exit ramps on 5th Avenue opposite Hotel Congress; (3) the Pennington Street Garage, accessed via Pennington Street from either Stone Avenue or 6th Avenue.; and (4) La Placita garage on Jackson Street, which is very convenient to the Fire Truck Adventure Zone Kids’ Area.
2nd Saturdays runs from 5pm to 10pm. Sponsors are: Jim Click Automotive Team, Fire Truck Adventure Zone, KOLD Channel 13, KHYT/KIIM Radio, KXCI 91.3FM Community Radio, MEB Property Management, Providence Service Corp., and QuikPrink.
Top Oro Valley Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Third graders at DeGrazia Elementary donate their 'Pennies for Puppies'
- Marana Unified names Employees of the Year - Teacher and Support Staff honored by Governing Board
- Assistant Superintendent selected at Marana Unified
- Marana to hold two code enforcement open houses in June
- Four riders from VFW 5990 participate in Run for the Wall
- AZ 79 between Florence, Oracle Junction closed due to rollover accident
- Catalina resident badly injured after fall from horse
- Sheriff Babeu and County Attorney Voyles team up for anti-bullying school assemblies
- 2013 Volunteer Service Award winners
- ICS Mobile Meals is in need of volunteer delivery drivers