Copper Creek student to compete at Arizona State Bee | Families
There are two students heading to the Arizona Spelling Bee next month, and one of them is from Copper Creek Elementary.
Michael Chen, a fourth grader at Copper Creek Elementary is only one of two students who will represent Pima County at the state spelling bee in March.
He was runner up, in a group of 41 students who competed in the Pima County spelling bee, on February 16. Michael’s mother stated that her son was an avid reader, and that is what she believes makes him a good speller.
Joining Michael will be 13-year-old Christopher O’Connor from St. Cyril School.
Both boys will represent Pima County at the March 23 State Bee at ASU Downtown (555 N. Central Avenue, Sixth floor)
They are competing for a chance to represent Arizona at the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, D.C. Where the winner of the Arizona bee and their chaperone will receive an all expense paid trip to the D.C. bee, to compete with other young spellers from across the U.S.
Top Oro Valley Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Third graders at DeGrazia Elementary donate their 'Pennies for Puppies'
- Marana Unified names Employees of the Year - Teacher and Support Staff honored by Governing Board
- Assistant Superintendent selected at Marana Unified
- Marana to hold two code enforcement open houses in June
- Four riders from VFW 5990 participate in Run for the Wall
- AZ 79 between Florence, Oracle Junction closed due to rollover accident
- Catalina resident badly injured after fall from horse
- Sheriff Babeu and County Attorney Voyles team up for anti-bullying school assemblies
- 2013 Volunteer Service Award winners
- ICS Mobile Meals is in need of volunteer delivery drivers