Walking and giving blood for a good cause - the Red Cross | Health
The Red Cross is asking for help to keep the blood supply going. They are hosting a six-mile walk along Broadway that will end at their donation center.
They want to raise awareness of the need for blood donations. The state of Arizona needs about 18,000 people to donate blood between June 1 and Labor Day to avoid a shortage in blood. So far only 2,078 people have donated across Arizona and some 15,922 more are needed, to maintain a 'healthy' supply for all 26 Arizona hospitals.
Among the critical types needed are type O, and for both negative types of A and B, about only half of the supply is there. The Red Cross is asking for walkers to walk and eligible donors to donate. To schedule an appointment to come in please call 1-800-Red Cross or online at www.redcrossblood.org
WHEN: June 14, (also World Blood Donor Day) 5:30 a.m. - briefing for walkers; 6 a.m. start time; 8:30 - 9 a.m. end time.
WHERE: Start at 1940 E. Broadway (Safeway parking lot), end at 7139 E. Broadway (Red Cross Donor Center)
Upcoming Events near Oro Valley
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Two MUSD elementarys recognized as 2013 NCEA Higher Performing Schools
- Estes Elementary hosts annual 'grand persons appreciation' event
- Rattlesnake Ridge Elementary families join in on 'Science Night'
- Marana Broncos advance in Division Two Championships in Florida
- Help the Salvation Army 'Stuff the Truck' today