CDO Academic Decathlon team #2 in AZ, on to state finals | News
The Academic Decathlon Team at Canyon del Oro High School is ranked number two in the state going into the Arizona Academic Decathlon Finals in March. The team’s score this year is 8th best in the nation.
CDO's team won their 12th consecutive Region III Academic Decathlon in Yuma earlier this month. All the students on the team won multiple medals, cash, and scholarship prizes totaling more than $80,000. The team is hoping to pull off another win at State, adding to their three victories in 2011, 2009 and 2006. The students are up against 40 other teams from around the state.
Academic Decathlon is one of the most prestigious high school academic competitions in the country. Teams are made up of nine students: Three “A" or Honor students, three "B" or Scholastic students, and three "C" or Varsity students. CDO’s coach is Mathematics Department Chair, Chris Yetman.
The students have completed the essay portion of the competition, online. While the Speech and Interview portion of the competition is to be held in the afternoon and evening of March 8. The seven test sessions and the 'Super Quiz Relay' will be held on Saturday, March 9.
Top Oro Valley Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AZ 79 between Florence, Oracle Junction closed due to rollover accident
- Catalina resident badly injured after fall from horse
- Sheriff Babeu and County Attorney Voyles team up for anti-bullying school assemblies
- 2013 Volunteer Service Award winners
- ICS Mobile Meals is in need of volunteer delivery drivers
- Holiday activity advisory from Coronado National Forest officials
- Church offers series on Christian holiness and human sexuality
- Sullivan’s Steakhouse hosting a ‘glitzy’ Great Gatsby-inspired event
- AZ Game and Fish meetings for public comment on licensing structures
- Two new battalion chiefs promoted in the Golder Ranch Fire District