How weather is changing Accenture play for today | News
All week golf officials have been paying close attention to the weather reports and have altered the course to keep play moving today.
Tucson News Now spoke recently with the general manager for Dove Mountain, who said officials with the golf championship who make the decisions have seen a trend the past few days. All the weather forecasts have become realities.
As for today's wind, they are aware of it and are slowing the greens down to compensate.
How they do that is by adding extra water and not trimming the grass down as short as they usually do. In ideal conditions, greens are like a table, smooth and flat. But with the wind today, it could blow a ball right off the green. That is the tipping point; the course has to remain competitive.
"We are expecting cold and breezy conditions. It's gonna be tough on those players, but the tough will survive, and we will have some matches tomorrow," commented Gerald Goodman, the executive director of Accenture Match Play Championship.
Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now All rights reserved.
Top Oro Valley Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- AZ 79 between Florence, Oracle Junction closed due to rollover accident
- Catalina resident badly injured after fall from horse
- Sheriff Babeu and County Attorney Voyles team up for anti-bullying school assemblies
- 2013 Volunteer Service Award winners
- ICS Mobile Meals is in need of volunteer delivery drivers
- Holiday activity advisory from Coronado National Forest officials
- Church offers series on Christian holiness and human sexuality
- Sullivan’s Steakhouse hosting a ‘glitzy’ Great Gatsby-inspired event
- AZ Game and Fish meetings for public comment on licensing structures
- Two new battalion chiefs promoted in the Golder Ranch Fire District